Skip to main content

Over and Out


Well, we have come to the end of another term of grad school at TROY, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that these posts will stop. I plan on taking a short break to focus on work, but then I will be back!

I have learned so much from this blog over the past few weeks, I have always enjoyed writing but this was a little different than what I am used to. Instead of having to be incredibly formal in every post, I am allowed to write conversationally. It makes talking about what I have learned so much more fun!

Speaking of what I have learned, this class has taught me a lot about media strategies! I have learned about the importance of companies and organizations communicating directly with consumers; transparency is very important today! It is also vital that companies have a solid plan in place in case of crises. Even if there is a one-in-a-million chance that this will happen, it still can and it is important for everyone to be prepared! With crisis communication is it important to have one consistent message, you cannot have employees saying different thing, this will cause distrust from the public.

One of my main takeaways from this course is that media strategy is constantly changing. With the rise of social media and the influx of social media influencers, we will probably see a big change to strategy in the coming years. These companies must be ready for anything that their influencers may do that could reflect badly on the company!

Listening is a skill that more people need to have, because it can make or break a company. If an executive doesn’t listen to those under him, the company will suffer. If the company doesn’t listen to the consumers, it will not succeed.

Overall, I have enjoyed learning about leadership and media strategies, and I hope to continue talking about it on this blog in the future!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PR, Social Media, and the 24 Hour News Cycle

I get woken up every morning by an alarm on my Echo Dot going off. I scroll through social media and read some emails before I read my morning news, which is delivered directly to my inbox by a few different news conglomerates. I watch TV while I’m getting ready and listen to a podcast on my drive to work. My entire morning routine revolves around technology. It is almost crazy how much I use it every morning just while I am getting ready for work, and I am not the only one that is like this. We live in a world that is very dependent upon technology, and that can be a great thing! I love being able to keep up with my family and friends who don’t live near me! Without technology and social media, I would never be able to talk to my best friend during her deployment, but this reliance on technology, and our constant need to be updated on events as they are happening, can be a hindrance to us all. I studied public relations for my undergraduate degree. One class I took was Public Rel...

Vision + Passion = Buy In

One of my first events when I started my job was a training session for the Troy University Trojan Ambassadors. We brought in a representative to teach our new ambassadors about how to grab attention and give a memorable tour. To start off his presentation, we watched a TED Talk by Simon Sinek named “How Great Leaders Inspire Action.” A big portion of the talk is about how successful leaders and organizations start with why. Sinek said, “People don’t buy what you do, they buy why you do it.” Most organizations or people do not follow this line of thinking. Most start with a product and are forced to work backwards and figure out why people should follow them or buy the product. From what I can tell, starting with the why shows passion. It shows that this product wasn’t just created to make money, but because the person who created it really believes that it was needed. It is their passion project . In class this week, we read about the importance of leaders having vision. Leader...

Are "Fake News" Articles Worse Than Negative Campaign Ads?

I have always disliked negative campaign ads. I personally believe that a campaign should be centered on promoting oneself, not running a smear campaign against the opponent. Before I came into my current position, I was the campaign manager for a candidate in east Alabama. The candidate and I had the same views on running negative ads, and we ran a clean campaign. Unfortunately, negative political advertisements work. Thankfully, I got out of the political world because today it is not easy to have a clean campaign and win an election. According to Science Daily , negative ads are successful, but they work better if they are paid for by the candidate, not a Political Action Committee, or PAC. In fact, negative messages from the candidate are twice as effective as PACs. On the other hand, according to the study, positive ads have no effect on an election. During the 2016 Presidential election, there were so many negative ads, you couldn’t watch TV or listen to the radio without ...